Lots of blooms on my morning walk thru Peacock Horticultural Nursery.FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
A few new plants:
- Acer p. ‘Manyo no sato’ – One of my new favs!
- Agave g. ‘Spaghetti Straps’
- Catalpa x erubescens ‘Purpurea – Big 15 gallon Tree!
- Cheilanthes tomentosa – Fern
- Cornus (nuttalli x kousa) ‘Venus’ – ‘Dogwood’
- Corylus (avellana x colurna)’Rosita’ – Nice 10 gallon, Purple foliage Hazelnut Trees
- Davidia involucrate ‘Iseli Fastgiate’ – Dove Tree
- Dudleya brittonii
- Echeveria ‘Lipstick’
- Fagus s. ‘Roseo-marginata’ – Tricolor Beech – Nice 15 Gallon Tree!
- Farfugium j. ‘Gigantea’
- Hesperaloe funifera chiangii
- Leucospermum c. ‘Yellow Bird’
- Philadelphus l. ‘Belle Etoile’
- Yucca f. ‘Colorguard’ – Nice blooming five gallons!
For me , the true arrival of spring is heralded with the heavy perfume of the Philadelphus – the Mock Orange shrub. We were lucky to have acquired the property where the nursery is located, with its turn of century home, and some beautiful mature shrubs and trees including three immense Mock Orange shrubs which I believe to be P. coronarius. Of the many varieties available, my favorite is Philadelphus ‘Innocence’. This shrub not only has pure white single flowers with their amazing scent similar to orange blossoms, it also provides beautiful variegated foliage. The new foliage emerges brightly variegated with creamy-white, gold and green leaves, which will eventually change through the summer months to mostly green.
‘Innocence’ can tolerate most soil types and does well planted in full sun to light shade in USDA zones 4 – 8. The shrub will grow to a height of 6 – 8′ feet and will be a beautiful addition to your garden.
Other cultivars of Philadelphus available at Peacock Horticultural Nursery include P. ‘Belle Etoile’, P. ‘Snowbelle’, and P. coronarius ‘Aureus’.