New plants arriving this week at Peacock Horticultural Nursery:
- Adiantum venustum (one gallon pots) – Himalayan Maidenhair Fern – A delicate evergreen fern spreading 3′ and 6″ tall. Hardy to < 15 F deer resistant. Plant in light shade and water regularly.
- Asclepias incarnata ‘Ice Ballet’ – Swamp Milkweed (Quart pots) – Summer blooming perennial with white, fragrant flowers that attract butterflies to your garden. Grows in full sun to 3 – 3.5′. Hardy to < 15 F.
- Begonia ‘Plum Paisley’ (one gallon pots) – Rex Begonia with a striking mult–colored leaves of plum and silver – growing to about 12″ x 12″ for part shade or shade. Not hardy.
- Echeveria setosa var. deminuta (4″ pots) Firecracker Plant – And evergreen succulent forming many rosettes a little more than 3 – 4″ wide with tufts of hairs on the ends of the leaves. Yellow and red flowers emerge in spring attracting hummingbirds. Reportedly hardy to about 25 F, but I have not tried this one outside in the winter.
- Epilobium ‘Schiefflin’s Choice’ (Quart pots) – California Fuchsia – A low growing perennial to about 6 – 8″ tall and up to 3′ wide with orange flowers in summer/fall that will attract hummingbirds to your garden. Deer resistant and hardy to at least 25 F.
- Graptoveria ‘Debbi’ (4″pots) An evergreen succulent that is a hybrid of Graptopetalum amethystinum and an Echeveria sp. forming rosettes to about 8″. Plant in full sun and protect from frost in the winter. Reportedly hardy to 20 F, but perhaps only when dry.
- Haworthia fasciata (4″ pots) (syn. Haworthiopsis fasciata) Zebra Plant – A suckering succulent with raised white turbercles on the outer leaves giving the impression of zebra stripes. Rosettes are 2 – 6″ wide and about 7″ tall. Best protected from cold and wet in winter, although hardy to 25 F if kept dry. Best in light shade, but can take some sun which will color up the leaves.
- Leucadendron ‘Ebony’ (one gallon pots) Ebony Conebush – An evergreen shrub to 3 – 4′ tall and 3 – 6′ wide with black-purple foliage and red bracts. Plant in full sun and hardy to mid 20’s F.
- Melaleuca ‘Brian Walters’ (5 gallon pots) – Shrub with a dense habit to 3′ tall and 4′ wide with creamy yellow flowers in spring. Plant in full sun to part sun. Low water needs once established. Hardy to 20 to 25 F.
- Platycerium bifurcatum ‘Netherlands’ (2 gallon pots) Staghorn Fern – Can be gown outside during the warm months of the years in bright, indirect light. In winter protect from frost.
- Protea ‘Mini King’ (one gallon pots) Dwarf King Protea – Evergreen shrub to about 3′ tall and wide with large 6 – 8″ pink flowers. Plant in full sun in well-draining soil and protect from frost below about 28 F.
- Russellia x ‘St Elmo’s Fire’ (Quart pots) Red Firecracker Plant – Grows 4 – 6′ tall and wide in part to full sun. Deep red flowers from spring till fall attracting hummingbirds to your garden. Hardy to about 20 – 25 F.
- Sempervivum ‘Gold Nugget’ (one gallon pots) – Succulent forming rosettes to 2- 3″ with golden leaves with red tips in winter- green in summer. Very hardy to < 15 F. Plant in full to part sun.
- Silene uniflora ‘Druett’s Variegated’ (Quart pots) Great small scale groundcover with variegated foliage 2 – 4″ tall and up to 12″ wide. Wonderful in containers. White flowers. Very hardy to < 15 F for full sun to part sun.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER