A few photos from Peacock Horticultural Nursery on this foggy morning:FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Happy Spring!FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Another plant shipment today including:
- Aloe arborescens – Torch Aloe – Succulent to 6 – 8′ tall with coral-red flowers. Hardy to about 22 F.
- Berberis thunbergii ‘Aurea Nana’ – Dwarf Barberry with great foliage color – golden yellow in spring and red in fall. 2 x 2′, afternoon shade in hot areas.
- Borinda boliana – Clumping Bamboo – New shoots are pale blue, grows to 24′, and very hardy to 10 F. Perfers afternoon shade.
- Buxus sempervirens – variegated – Variegated English Box – Shrub to 4 – 6′ for sun to part shade.
- Cheilanthes argentea – Silver Cloak Fern – Dwarf Dryland Fern (10″) for rock gardnes. Grow in full sun to part sun.
- Cheilanthes lanosa – Hairy Lip Fern – Dwarf (8″) Dryland Fern for rock gardens. Grows in sun to part sun. Drought tolerant.
- Chimonocalamus pallens – Clumping Bamboo to 26′, blue-green new culms and orange in fall. Hardy to 15 F. Mixed data on sun tolerance.
- Cryptomeria japonica ‘Kelly’s Fastigiate’ – Conifer to 20′.
- Cupressus cashmeriana – Kashmir Cypress – A beautiful conifer to 40 – 60′ with blue-green aromatic foliage
- Deutzia ‘Magicien’ – A deciduous shrub to 7′ or more with pink flowers edged in white in spring.
- Polystichum setiferum – Soft Shield Fern – 2′ fronds for light to deep shade.
- Pyrrosia hastata – Felt Fern – 12″ tall clumping fern with three lobed dark green leaves with the leaf backs a felty brown.
- Pyrrosia lingua ‘Eboshi’ – Very slow growing Contorted Tongue Fern to 6 – 8″. Glossy leaves on top with felty brown underneath.
- Romneya coulteri – Matilija Poppy – Spreading underground to 8′ across and 4-5′ tall with big white flowers with yellow centers.
- Rosa ‘Sally Holmes’ – Hybrid Musk Rose – Single 5″ white flowers.
- Thamnochortus insignis – Thatching Reed – Beautiful Restio to 4- 6′.
- Vaccinium ovatum ‘Blue Madonna’ – Huckleberry – Shade tolerant shrub to 5′ with white flowers and sweet, slightly tart, blue-black fruit.
- Vitis vinifera ‘Purpurea’- Grape with summer leaves turning burgundy and cabarnet red with deep purple clusters of grapes in fall.
- Wisteria floribunda ‘Purple Patches’ – Deciduous Vine with very long violet-purple flowers in spring.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Shipment of Tillandsias are here including:
- Tillandsia fasciculata Golden Torch
- Tillandsia fasciculata x ionantha
- Tillandsia ionantha Albino (Druid)
- Tillandsia ionantha Godzilla
- Tillandsia ionantha Peach
- Tillandsia ionantha Ron
- Tillandsia ionantha vanhyningii
- Tillandsia recurvifolia v. subsecundifolia
- Tillandsia tenuifolia Bronze Giant
- Tillandsia tenuifolia Amethyst
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
A few new plants today including:
- Agave ovatifolia ‘Frosty Blue’ – Whale’s Tongue Agave – Very hardy to 5 F, 3-4′ tall . and wide. These are nice 7 gallon specimen plants.
- Amaryllis belladonna ‘Alba’ – White Naked Lady Bulbs – Available in one gallon pots.
- Anigozanthus ‘Big Red’ – Red Kangaroo Paws – Big and full five gallon plants – 6 feet tall! Really nice! Hardy and evergreen to 25 F, and will re-sprout to about 20 F.
- Beschorneria yuccoides – Amole – Green and red flowers in summer, 4-5′ tall, hardy to <15 F, and low water needs.
- Cordyline ‘Cha Cha’ – Nice, full two gallons available. Hardy to about 20 F. clumping 3-4′ weeping leaves of apricot, peach, yellow, and green.
- Cycas panahihuaensis – Panahihua Sago Palm. 3-4′ pinnate leaves on a 4-6′ trunk. Very Hardy and evergreen to 20 F, and deciduous to about 10 F or lower. Large specimen plant available in 10 gallon Squat Pot.
- Echeveria agavoides ‘Maria’ – Large rosette succulent to 1′ tall and wide, with red edged leaves. Very hardy to 14 F. Low water needs.
- Eucalyptus ‘Moon Lagoon’ – Fine Leafed Mallee – Small tree 4 – 8′ tall, hardy to about 23 F.
- Leucadendron ‘Safari Sunset’ – Safari Conebush – Great specimen shrub with red and yellow flowers to 8′ tall. Low water needs.
- Melaleuca incana ‘Prostrate Form’ – Prostrate Gray Honey-myrtle – Great for spilling over a pot or wall. 1-2′ tall and 4-6 wide. Low water needs.
- Protea ‘Sylvia’ – Big pink flowers on a 6′ shrub. Low water needs. Hardy to mid-twenties.
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Just rec’d a shipment of plants yesterday @ Peacock Horticultural Nursery including:
- Aloe castanea (Cat’s Tail Aloe) – Orange flowers in winter, 6 – 10′ , hardy to 20 F.
- Aloe ‘David Verity’ (David Verity Aloe) – Aloe arborescens x A. salm-dyckiana, flowers Red & Yellow, 4 – 6′ tall and wide, Hardy to at least 25 F, and possibly a bit lower.
- Aloe distans – (Golden Tooth Aloe, Jeweled Aloe) – Syn. A. mitriformis, A. perfoliate, spreading Aloe for Full Sun to light shade, 5″, coral flowers, hardy 20 F, and wet tolerant.
- Aloe pratensis – (Rocky Meadow Aloe) – Small clustering Aloe, 8″, pale peach flowers, hardy to 19 F, best kept dry in winter.
- Aloe reitzii – (Reitz’s Aloe) – Flowers red to red-orange, 2-3′, very low water needs, hardy 20 F.
- Aloe ‘Safari Orange’ – (Safari Orange Aloe) – Flowers bright orange, 2-3′, hardy to 23 F, and low water needs.
- Aloe ‘Safari Sunrise’ – (Safari Sunrise Aloe) – Flowers orange & pink, 1′ tall, suckering Aloe that makes a great groundcover, hardy to about 21 F, moderate water needs.
- Aloe x nobilis – (Gloden Toothed Aloe) Aloe miriformis x A. brevifolia, Suckering Aloe for full sun or light shade and sandy soil, orange-red flowers, 1-2′, hardy to 20 F, low water needs.
- Banksia speciosa – (Showy Banksia) – 1′ tall creamy yellow flowers, 12 – 20′ tall, low water needs with no water in summer. hardy to 20 – 25 F.
- Cordyline ‘Electric Flash’ – (Electric Flash Grass Tree) – Chocolate and cream colored leaves, 4′ tall, and possible up to 8′ clumping plant, hardy to 15 F, low water needs.
- Echeveria agavoides ‘Maria’ – (Wax Agave) – Large (14″ wide) rosettes of apple-green leaves with red edges (mostly on tips), red and yellow flowers, for full sun or light shade, hardy to 14 F, low water needs.
- Echeveria colorata ‘Mexican Giant’ – (Mexican Giant Echeveria) 1′ wide rosettes, leaves covered with powdery-white coating, water from side to avoid washing coating off leaves, survived outside this last winter to 23 F with no protection, low water needs.
- Echeveria prolifica – (Prolific Echeveria) Small clustering Echeveria with silver-green leaves for cool sun to light shade, hardy to 15- 20 F.
- Wollemia nobilis – (Wollemi Pine) – One of the world’s oldest trees, to 100′, hardy to 10 -15 F
Some early bulbs and a couple of summer dormant tubers now available @ Peacock Horticultural Nursery, including:
- Galanthus ‘Lady Beatrix Stanley’ – Double flowered Snowdrop.
- Narcissus cantabricus – White flowering form of the Hoop Petticoat. Fall blooming in Northern Califronia. 6″ These are blooming now in the nursery Nov 2015, and are available in 4″ pots.
- Canarina canariensis – Summer dormant tubers. Orange blooms on scrambling stems in winter. Protect from frost.
- Tropaeolum tricolor – Summer dormant vine with scarlet, blue and yellow flowers in winter, early spring.
A few more new plants arriving tomorrow at Peacock Horticultural Nursery, including:
- Agave asperrima – Syn. Agave scabra – Rough Century Plantave – Medium Agave
- (3 – 4′) with blue-gray leaves. Hardy to 15 – 20 F.
- Beschorneria albiflora – Trunking Beschorneria – Hardy to 16 F.
- Ceiba speciosa – Syn. Chorisia speciosa – Floss Silk Tree – 40 – 60′ tree with large thorns on a green trunk. Pink Flowers. Hardy to 18 F ?
- Echeveria agaviodes ‘Prolifera’ – 12″ wide hardy Echeveria with reddish-pink tinge near the leaf edges.
- Echeveria secunda ‘Blue Mist’ – Hardy Echeveria to 6″ with whitish grey leaves.
- Hymenosporum flavum – Sweet Shade – Evergreen tree to 40′ with shiny green leaves and yellow fragrant flowers.
- Senna artemisioides – Feathery Cassia – Hardy, drought tolerant shrub for full sun. Yellow fragrant flowers. 4 – 6′
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER