New plants arriving this week at Peacock Horticultural Nursery:
- Acer japonicum ‘Ed Wood #2’ (one gallon pots) Full Moon Japanese Maple – Small to medium size tree growing to 8- 12′ in 10 years with huge green leaves (8 – 14″) and amazing fall color. Plant in full sun to part sun. Hardy to < 15 F.
- Acer palmatum ‘Twombly’s Red Sentinel’ (one gallon pots) – Japanese Maple – A columnar tree to 10 – 20′ tall and 3 – 7′ wide with striking red foliage (scarlet in fall). Plant in full sun to part shade and hardy to < 15 F.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Ash’s Scarlet Princess’ (one gallon pots) – Japanese Maple – Dwarf weeping tree to 2 – 3′ tall and wide with red foliage. Plant in part shade to full sun and hardy to < 15 F.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Crimson Princess‘ (one gallon pots) – Laceleaf Japanese Maple – Cascading tree to 8 – 10′ tall and 10 – 12’ wide with red foliage in spring. Foliage may turn greenish-red in summer. Plant in part sun to full sun, but protect from hot afternoon sun. Scarlet fall color! Hardy to < 15 F.
View this post on Instagram
Acer palmatum dissectum 'Crimson Princess' & Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena Nishiki' are just two plants of the new plants that arrived today at Peacock Horticultural Nursery. Complete list of new plants at www.peacockhorticulturalnursery.com #disanthusenanishiki #variegateddisanthusceridifolius #acerpalmatumdissectumcrimsonprincess #weepinglaceleafmaple #peacockhorticulturalnursery
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Lemon Lime Lace’ (one gallon pots) Weeping Green Laceleaf Japanese Maple – Weeping tree to about 4′ tall and 6′ and 10 years. New growth in yellow-green new growth maturing to chartreuse in summer. Yellow to orange fall color. Plant in part sun to full sun and hardy to < 15 F.
- Aesculus hippocastanum ‘Memmingeri’ – (one gallon pots) – Horse-chestnut Tree to 20′ + with pale yellow (almost white) new growth maturing to a light green in summer. Plant in full sun to part sun, but leaves may burn in full sun. White flowers in spring and brown fruits in fall. Hardy to < 15 F.
- Aesculus x carnea ‘Aureomarginata’ – (one gallon pots) Variegated Red Horse-chestnut – Tree to 20 – 25′ + with green foliage edged in yellow. Red flowers in spring and brown fruits in fall. Plant in full sun to part sun and hardy to < 15 F.
- Aesculus turbinata ‘Marble Chip’ (one gallon pots) Variegated Japanese Horse-Chestnut – Tree to about 30′ tall and 20′ wide with variegated green and creamy white leaves. New leaves begin salmon pink and green and white. White flowers in spring as leaves emerge. Plant in sun to part sun and hardy to < 15 F.
- Calycanthus floridus ‘Athens’ (two gallon pots) – Sweetshrub – A suckering shrub to about 9′ tall and wide with green leaves and yellow fragrant flowers in May. Plant in part sun/part shade and hardy to < 15 F.
- Calycanthus raustonii ‘Hartlage Wine’ (one gallon pots)(syn. ×Sinocalycalycanthus raulstonii ‘Hartlage Wine’) Sweetshrub – A large shrub to 8 – 10′ with fragrant wine-red flowers from late spring to early summer. Plant in sun or part sun and hardy to < 15 F.
- Catalpa bignoniodes ‘Aurea’ (one gallon pots) – a deciduous tree to 20 – 30′ tall with golden yellow leaves and white fragrant flowers in spring. Plant in full sun and hardy to < 15 F. Needs little water once established.
- Disanthus cercidifolius ‘Ena Nishiki’ (one gallon pots) Variegated Redbud Hazel – a woodland shrub to about 6 – 8′ with heart shaped green leaves edged in creamy white. Very small flowers emerge along stem in spring. Plant in bright filtered light and hardy to < 15 F. Striking fall color!
- Fagus sylvatica ‘Marmor Star’ – Variegated European Beech – tree to about 10 – 15′ in 10 years (?). First flush of leaves is mostly green and then comes a second flush of growth with white and green leaves. Plant in sun to part sun and hardy to < 15 F.
- Fagus sylvatica ‘Rohan Red Weeping’ (one gallon pots) – Weeping Beech – A small slow growing weeping deciduous tree to about 10′ tall and 8′ wide with purple red foliage. Plant in full sun to light shade and hardy to < 15 F.
- Ginkgo biloba ‘Snowcloud’ (one gallon pots) – Variegated Maidenhair – a dwarf deciduous tree to 5 – 10′? New growth is creamy white to yellow that matures to a variegated green and white. Plant in a spot with very bright light (morning sun) avoiding hot afternoon sun that may burn the foliage. Hardy to < 15 F.
- Magnolia acuminate ssp. subcordata ‘Ellen’ (one gallon pots) Variegated Cucumber Magnolia – a deciduous tree to about 20′ tall and wide with variegated green and creamy white to yellow leaves and chartreuse to yellow flowers. Hardy to < 15 F. I am not sure about where to site this tree, perhaps avoiding hot afternoon sun?
- Magnolia x ‘Polo De Lorenzo’ (one gallon pots) – a small deciduous tree to only 8′ tall and wide with huge (12″ wide) fragrant white and pink flowers in spring. Full sun to part shade. Hardy to < 15 F.
- Parthenocissus quinquefolia ‘Star Shower‘ (one gallon pots) – Variegated Virginia Creeper Vine – A deciduous vine to 30’ + with green and white variegated leaves. Leaves have a pink blush in cooler weather in fall. Plant in full sun to part shade. Hardy to < 15 F.
- Quercus cerris ‘Aureo Marmorata’ – (one gallon pots) Variegated Turkey Oak – a slow growing deciduous tree to 10′ in 10 years with variegated leaves of creamy white, yellow and green. Seems to take full sun OK. Hardy to < 15 F.